Chapter 16 – Skybox image won't appear

Home Forums Real-Time 3D Rendering with DirectX and HLSL Chapter 16 – Skybox image won't appear

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  alcanteria 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jiyn
    Participant

Hello all

The issue I am currently facing relates to the Material-Skybox chapter (16).

Basically i’ve been building up a private project alongside the book and up until Chapter 16 everything has been going well.

Usually I spot the differences between the source code provided and my current solution and simply copy over the differences into my private solution.

After following the same trend for this Chapter’s solution, the Skybox image itself doesn’t load.

This is what I am currently facing:

View post on imgur.com

I’ve eliminated the fact that the image is not in the correct directory/being linked.

It would spit out this error if it wasn’t correctly linked:

View post on imgur.com

I’ve checked all of the properties under the Library project and Demo/Game project and they match up with the Source solutions properties. I’ve also made sure the shaders are set to Shader level 5 and .fx readable.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂

alcanteria
    Participant

This question is really old, but I ran into this same problem. I wasted hours pouring over the text trying to figure out why the skybox texture wasn’t appearing. Turns out, it is a TYPO!!! (sort of) When you initialize the skybox object, the last argument in the constructor is the scale you want the skybox to render at. The book has it set to 500.0f. For whatever reason, that is too big and it won’t show anything but the blue clear color you set. I just set it to 100.0f and it worked.

So, to reiterate: the BOOK’S code shows this

mSkybox = new Skybox(*this, *mCamera, L”Content\\Textures\\Maskonaive2_1024.dds”, 500.0f);

If that isn’t working for you, just change the last argument to a much smaller value, like this

mSkybox = new Skybox(*this, *mCamera, L”Content\\Textures\\Maskonaive2_1024.dds”, 100.0f);

Hope that helps someone out there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.