OpenGL Essentials livelessons

Home Forums General Discussion OpenGL Essentials livelessons

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel1985 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Daniel1985
    Participant

Hi there!

I have just worked through your OpenGL Essentials livelessons videos.
    I have learned a lot and like your videos, explaining and code samples very much.
    In one of your latest videos, ’05 Survey other rendering techniques’, you’re talking about skeleton animation and I’ve just started to explore that topic.
    Unfortunately I am very lost when it comes to this topic and haven’t found that much information and haven’t found any good tutorials on it either.

Since you’re talking about it in the video specified above, and you seem to have a bit of knowledge regarding this topic, would you mind creating a code example using skeletal animation with OpenGL and the Assimp library?

Paul Varcholik
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

I’d be happy to create such a code sample. However, I’m still a bit in Hurricane Irma cleanup mode, and have quite a bit of catch up to do teaching classes this semester. Thus, this request may have to wait a bit.

In the meantime, I already have such a sample for DirectX. Indeed, this topic is Chapter 20 in my book. You can find the code for this here. It should be pretty straight forward to port this code to OpenGL.

Paul

Daniel1985
    Participant

Thank you for your answer!

It would be very kind of you to provide with such code sample. Don’t worry about it taking a long time before you can make it. Just make it when you have the time. 🙂

In the meanwhile I’ll check out the DirectX code that you linked to.

Regarding the system that you’re using in the DirectX code – would it be hard to adapt the code to use sub animation(s)?
    What I mean by ‘sub animation’ is this: let’s say my 3D model has 2 animations; 1 running animation and 1 attack animation. When I, for example, hold the W key on the keyboard, the running animation is executed on the whole 3D model.
    If I then, for example, press the left mouse button, the attack animation is executed on the 3D model. The difference now is that, at the program startup, I specify that the attack animation only should affect the upper part of the 3D model (so the waist up). So while the 3D model’s lower part (so the waist down) is running with the help of the running animation, the attack animation is executed one time (so one loop in the attack animation) and only the right arm is moving forward to hit something in front of the 3D model, all while the legs keeps running. Then when the attack animation is finished, the arms are interpolating back to the running animation, where the arms are moving back and forth (like in a regular running animation).

Would it be possible to adapt your DirectX animation code to work with this kind of animation system?
    I assume I need to have some kind of bone/joint hierarchy, where it should be possible to specify: ‘well, I want this animation to affect from the joint named ThisJoint1 to ThisJoint2 and all the joints between them’.
    I just have no idea how to create this kind of hierarchy and animation system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.