Scene Graph

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Varcholik 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ahmedsaleh
    Participant

Very nice book. clear explanation in plain English :).
    I would like to know is there any bonus chapter that you plan to write about scene graph ?
    I was looking forward to complete the book with a scene manager and explain topics for space partitioning too.

What is the original design pattern for software service? Did you want to apply dependency injection ?

Paul Varcholik
    Keymaster

Hello Ahmed,

I’m glad you like the book! I have a proposal cooking right now for a second book that would include a deep dive on space partitioning and scene management. No word yet on the “when”, but that plan is percolating.

I also have a proposal in for a second video series on DirectX development. DirectX Essentials LiveLessons was just published this week and it covers the first two parts of the book. A second video series would cover the last two parts of the book and include a lesson on Multi-Platform DirectX development (Win32, Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1, and Xbox One). No definitive timing on those videos either, but that’s also in the works.

To your second question, the software services pattern is formal known as the “Service Locator” pattern. It’s the exact opposite of dependency injection.

Paul

ahmedsaleh
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

What do resources (books,..etc) that you recommend for continuing developing your engine to support scene management ?

Is there a planning to wrap the series by a game demo, RPG, RTS,..etc?

Paul Varcholik
    Keymaster

Hello Ahmed,

Sorry I haven’t responded to your question. I didn’t see your follow-up post until now.

I recommend Game Engine Architecture, 2nd Edition by Jason Gregory as a great engine book, though, to your specific question, I think it’s lacking details on scene graph implementation. Past that, there’s quite a lot of information on the Internet. A Google search on Scene Graphs should get you started.

If my next book idea takes root, it’ll include implementations of several systems for scene management.

As to any plans on a game demo, no I don’t currently have any such plans. The graphics framework, presented in the book, is primarily a context for exercising graphics techniques and exploring the Direct3D API. It doubles as a decent start to an engine, which could be extended, but that wasn’t the intent. I have extended the framework to include multi-platform support (for Win32, Windows Phone 8.1, and Windows 8.1) and will continue to expand the framework to support the next book and/or video series.

Paul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.