shader editor

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Varcholik 3 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

sky
    Participant

The NVidia site points to Nsight. Can we use Nsight in place of FX Composer for shader editing?

Paul Varcholik
    Keymaster

It’s unclear to me why NVIDIA states that Nsight is a replacement for FX Composer. It’s does have editing capability, but not visualization. While that tool is absolutely fantastic at profiling and debugging, it’s no more an authoring/visualization tool than any text editor.

Nsight’s editing capability allows you to modify a shader while debugging — which is extremely cool. But I know of no visualization features within Nsight.

If you’re a Windows 8.1 user, the latest version of FX Composer won’t function. However, a previous version does.

Paul

Alex
    Participant

There’s a shader designer built into Visual Studio 2013 : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh315733.aspx

Is this anyway comparable in features?

Paul Varcholik
    Keymaster

Hi Alex,

The Visual Studio 2013 Shader Designer is quite different from NVIDIA FX Composer and has (to my knowledge) no similarity to anything within NVIDIA Nsight. The VS 2013 Shader Designer is a visual editor that’s graph-node based. You make connections between nodes to control the shader’s output. The end result is generated HLSL.

Paul

Alex
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation Paul, very helpful.

cdx
    Participant

Maybe you have a look at ShaderTool. It is a new node based shader editor but with additional HLSL and GLSL coder editor functionality. You can just code shaders as in FX Composer but also use the node system to build up your own rendering pipeline.

You can find it on Steam or at http://www.shadertool.com

Worth having a look at it

Best,
    cdx

Paul Varcholik
    Keymaster

ShaderTool looks fantastic! Same for WorldCreator, looks like you folks are writing some very cool software. Good luck and thanks for the post!

Paul

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.